This is a question very frequently asked on social platforms – How do I start in GIS? Where should I start?
My personal answer would always be – start with the foundational basics. Below are online modules that I personally selected as appropriate for absolute beginners. Modules are listed in escalating order from basic to more advanced. All listed classes are free, but some require ESRI account.
- The power of maps | Learn ArcGIS – 50 minutes online 1-page lesson
- Exploring GIS Maps | Esri Training Web Course – 1 hr 45 minutes web course which requires ArcGIS Online access and account with ESRI;
- ArcGIS Pro Basics | Esri Training Web Course – 50 minute web course which requires account with ESRI;
- GIS Basics | Esri Training Web Course – 2 hours and 35 minutes web course, requires ESRI account;
- Getting Started with Data Management | Esri Training Web Course – 1 hour and 25 mins web course that requires ESRI account and goes well right after the GIS Basics listed above;
Next level courses with maintenance license (organizational account) reqired
- Editing Basics in ArcGIS Pro | Esri Training Web Course – 2 hours web course that introduces basics of data editing using latest version of the GIS software – ArcPro;
- Getting Started with the Geodatabase | Esri Training Web Course – 3 hours and 30 minutes course – must have as it provides introduction into geodatabase management;
- Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems | Esri Training Web Course – 1 hour and 15 minutes well spent to get introduction into concepts of the coordinate systems;